Installing an RPM later on in pkgorder

Dan Trainor info at hostinthebox.net
Thu Jul 14 00:12:00 UTC 2005

Dan Trainor wrote:

>>Hello, all -
>>
>>I've got another one for ya.
>>
>>I have an RPM that I made which I've integrated into comps.xml, and it
>>works fine that way.  However, it does start a TCP-based server, which
>>itself as a client connects to, to set up some default configuration
>>options.
>>
>>A few days ago, this RPM was installed next to last in Anaconda, and it
>>worked fine.  However, I have since added some more RPMs to comps.xml,
>>and now this particular RPM is being installed right in the middle of
>>Anaconda.  I believe that this is dictated by using pkgorder.  This RPM
>>is no longer installing properly during Anaconda, and some of the errors
>>that this RPM is giving upon install, indicate that something regarding
>>the TCP/IP subsystem is either not installed yet, or not configured
>>properly, as if waiting for another RPM to install later via ANaconda
>>and set up the since "broken" service.
>>
>>I guess what I'm asking is, is there any way to specify in which order
>>RPMs are installed, inside of Anaconda?  I understand that pkgorder does
>>it's best to guess to correct order in which to line up packages for
>>install with Anaconda, but there's got to be a way to make a few
>>exceptions to this, and install the packages in the order that I see fit.
>>
>>If anyone has any experience with this, or if they can advise me a bit,
>>I would greatly appreciate it.
>>
>>Thanks
>>-dant
>>

> Hello -
>
> I tried placing my RPM at the "end" of my pkginfo file that's used on
> the second genhdlist pass.  The RPM was installed last, but
> unfortunately I ran into the same problem.  I suspect now that my
> problem is elsewhere.
>
> Thanks for the time
> -dant

Aaaaaaaalright, I think I figured it out here.

The only thing that's changed, was the manner in which the kickstart
file was loading.  And here's the deal:

Anaconda now loads the kickstart off of a CD, which is how I want it to
work.  However, when Anaconda boots off of an HTTP network install, it
somehow, someway, or somewhat start some kind of network system, devices
activate, TCP/IP "works", yada yada.

Since my fancy RPM uses a client/server method to establish a certain
setup, and booting from CDROM does not load this networking component
(?), my RPM fails to install properly.

How might one go about fully enabling network functionality in the
manner that I am looking for, during a cd-based kickstart installation?
 If I can get this answered, I'm set.

Thanks!
-dant