VMWare vmxnet integration?

Brian Long brilong at cisco.com
Thu Jun 2 13:24:10 UTC 2005

Hello,

I'm wondering if anyone has been successful in integrating VMWare's
vmxnet driver into the install images for RHEL 3 or RHEL 4.  VMWare ESX
has two NIC emulations: vlance (pcnet32 low performance) and vmxnet
(requires a VMWare-provided driver).  vmxnet is much faster and is the
preferred NIC when deploying virtual machines into production.

We'd like to be able to kickstart VM's using the vmxnet driver.
Otherwise, you have to configure the VM for vlance, kickstart, install
VMWare's vmxnet driver, configure the VM for vmxnet, etc.  We're trying
to slipstream the vmxnet driver into the kickstart process.

We're familiar with running buildinstall to remake the boot images,
initrd, etc. but have been unsuccessful integrating the vmxnet driver.

Thanks for any pointers.

/Brian/
--
       Brian Long                      |         |           |
       IT Data Center Systems          |       .|||.       .|||.