Guide to comps.xml and friends

Klaus Steden klaus.steden at thomson.net
Thu Jun 9 02:04:15 UTC 2005

> Klaus -
>
> I was just curious if I should prepare for 10 slightly varying
> installers, or one overall installer.

Uh-oh, you're asking me for advice? ;>

No, seriously ... I have only 'one' installer but I have a number of different
install types, so what I did was I made some perl-based template files that
can account for the variation, and my kickstart URL is actually a CGI that
parses these files and returns a generated ks.cfg.

This took a little bit of work to implement - basically, I had to intercept
anaconda's invocation between /sbin/loader and /usr/bin/anaconda, insert my
own code (which fetched the KS file), and then continue running and exec the
actual anaconda script.

If you have the time/patience for a variety of installers (I don't - I need to
have them all available in one CD), you could simply specify your parameters
of variation in the boot command line (you'd have to cut your own RH ISO,
though). Probably easier, if you don't have heavy customization or a lot of
major differences between your install types (I do).

If you want more info, contact me off list.

cheers,
Klaus