[Yum] yum in kickstart %post and HP Insight Mgr

James_Martin at ao.uscourts.gov James_Martin at ao.uscourts.gov
Wed Jun 1 13:23:31 UTC 2005

HP has made a lot of crappy packages.  And they still are.  Red Hat might
do us all a favor if they send them a copy of the "Red Hat RPM Guide".  In
a meeting with HP in March, I expressed this to the VP of Linux
Engineering.

What I've had to do is re-roll a lot of HP packages.. In my spec file I
dissassemble the rpm using rpm2cpio and take the crap out of %post %pre
that I don't want and put it back together.  Seth is right, don't
encourage them.  Make a working package and email it back to them and tell
them "this is how it should be done."

The worst package I've ever seen was from Netvault-- Their rpm of their
backup software basically dropped some files in /tmp and then there was
%post script that ran the installer.  Ugh, what a complete mess and waste.

James S. Martin, RHCE
Contractor
Administrative Office of the United States Courts
Washington, DC
(202) 502-2394