Kickstart dies after post-install

dan info at hostinthebox.net
Thu Jun 2 18:18:54 UTC 2005

Seremeth, Stephen wrote:
> So, chalk this up to another "I spent way too long trying to figure out
> why anaconda acts a certain way" type issue, but I just saw my first
> congratulations screen since kickstarting my own custom ES 4 installers.
>
> In previous versions (and maybe it was just AS 2.1), this worked fine in
> the %post section:
>
> /sbin/service network start
> /sbin/service portmap start
> ifconfig $ETH_ACTIVE $ip up
> /usr/sbin/ntpdate $NTPSERVER
>
> In ES 4, these commands somehow (haven't figured out how yet) cause the
> install to crash (throws a traceback referenced in previous email) after
> the post section has been run and before the congrats screen.
>
> I'm hoping this email will hopefully save someone else the agony I have
> just lived through trying to debug this.  Btw - I was getting the same
> problems on two types of hardware doing PXE nfs installs, and the
> hardware checked out fine.
>
> Regards,
>
> Steve

Steve -

Sorry for not keeping current on this issue, so please forgive my
ignorance, but I have a few questions that might yield solutions.

Are $ETH_ACTIVE and $ip defined variables?  What about $NTPSERVER?
These may very well be set by Anaconda at install-time, but if they're
not, and you don't set them, this would cause a problem, no?

Thanks
-dant