Guide to comps.xml and friends

Philip Rowlands phr at doc.ic.ac.uk
Wed Jun 8 21:33:23 UTC 2005

On Wed, 8 Jun 2005, dan wrote:

>Yeap, that's what I'm looking for.  I'm trying to beat RHEL and CentOS
>into a purposeful beast that suits our associaton's needs, as well as
>implementing some of our homegrown software.  It's my goal to remove
>every single item that is not completely essential to doing a short
>list of very specific tasks.

It's sometimes easier, unless you really need to make use of all the
different packaging groups that comps.xml provides, to add/remove from
within the kickstart file, e.g.

%packages --resolvedeps
@ Base
@ Core
@ Printing
-glibc-devel
-pam_smb
nc
ethereal

(Nothing precludes building said kickstart file with a script)

Cheers,
Phil