Guide to comps.xml and friends

Ed Brown ebrown at lanl.gov
Wed Jun 8 21:49:44 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-06-08 at 15:19, dan wrote:
> Klaus Steden wrote:
> >>Right now, I'm trying to prune Base and Core a bit, to see if I can get
> >>an even smaller install.  I'll let you all know how it goes.
> > for the life of me some of what is considered 'basic' stretches the
> > definition somewhat.
> It's my goal to remove
> every single item that is not completely essential to doing a short list
> of very specific tasks.

It would be great to see RedHat pare the Base and Core groups, to be
able to start a server installation from a 'more' minimal set, rather
than have to try to work backwards from the default install (base and
core), which surely no one could defend as minimal.  But while there is
definitely some low-hanging fruit, after about 10-20 rpms, the
difficulty of trying to define the 'completely essential' set is
directly proportional to the number of people with a vote, and even if
you're the only one, it's still hard deciding 'completely essential' vs.
'practical, convenient'.
I'd be interested in seeing the lists people come up with.

-Ed