Ejecting CD after installation

Christian.Rohrmeier at SCHERING.DE Christian.Rohrmeier at SCHERING.DE
Mon Jun 13 09:06:51 UTC 2005

I find that the behaviour of the CDROM from an "http" (or other
network)-based install is depedant on the version of RHEL that is
installed.

The CD is used to boot only, "prompt: linux ks=http://blahblah".

RHEL 2.1 will allow me to eject the CD as soon as it has loaded the images
from the URL (i.e. during install, at any point, PRE% or POST% script.)

RHEL 3 and 4 do NOT allow the CD to be removed during install until after
the machine has been rebooted or halted (i.e. you can't eject the CD during
the POST% script either.)

-Christian

_________________
Christian Rohrmeier
Schering AG
Corporate IT - Infrastructure and Services
Computer Systems and Operations
System Administration - Research and Development
Tel +49 30 468 15794
Fax +49 30 468 95794

                      "Gregory Gerard"
                      <ggerard at ggerard.com>
                      Sent by:                       To:      <kickstart-list at redhat.com>
                      kickstart-list-bounces         cc:
                      @redhat.com                    Subject: Ejecting CD after installation

                      12.06.2005 02:05
                      Please respond to
                      Discussion list about
                      Kickstart

What’s the right way to eject a CD after installation? I have my kickstart
set to reboot afterwards but it boots into the CD-ROM.

My CD-ROM drive tray in the server (Dell 1U) is the portable type where the
machine couldn’t suck the tray and CD-ROM back in even if the BIOS so
desired.

While I’m using the CD-ROM, it’s just for booting the machine, the install
type is http based, not local media.

Thanks,
Kickstart-list mailing list
Kickstart-list at redhat.com