linksleep (was: RE: Kickstart Installs of FC2)

Ed Brown ebrown at lanl.gov
Wed Jun 22 19:30:28 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-06-22 at 08:24, Seremeth, Stephen wrote:
> label 1
>   kernel rhel-4-es/vmlinuz
>   append ks=nfs:mynfsserver.org:/dist/kickstart/rh_es_4/
> initrd=rhel-4-es/initrd.img ksdevice=eth0 linksleep=120
> eth0_ethtool="speed=100 autoneg=off duplex=full delay_link=1" nofb

I don't see the 'linksleep' or 'eth0_ethtool' options in the
anaconda(9.1.5.8) docs for RHEL3.  I did find a mention of 'linksleep'
in a letter from over a year ago from Philip Rowlands, describing the
patch that introduced it.  The only mention of 'eth0_ethtool' I can find
is in RHEL2.1 documentation.  Are either of these options and their
possible values documented for RHEL3?

I assume these are here to address the longstanding problems some users
have experienced when kickstarting with the e1000 driver through gigabit
switches.  Are you (or others?) using these options successfully for
other types of installs (e.g., ftp install, static addressing)?

I'd prefer not to specify ksdevice in the syslinux config, and to not
have multiple labels, for situations where another interface is used for
the install.  Is it possible to include more than one 'ethX_ethtool'
entry, or to set the settings for all e1000 interfaces?

thanks for any pointers,
-Ed