Redirecting Anaconda output

Klaus Steden klaus.steden at thomson.net
Fri Jun 24 22:43:20 UTC 2005

> > What's everyone else out there think of the idea?
>
> I think it's something that's long overdue and would be well appreciated by
> _everybody_ using ks.  Recently I had some kickstart attempts that bombed at
> the _end_ of kickstarting -- and when that happens, kickstart actually
> _does_ save some good logs for you.  I think they were in /var/log but I'm
> not remembering completely now, but it included some/all of the stuff from
> the other virtual consoles, etc..  So, the idea has been thought of before,
> I guess, even if the logs are even more valuable when ks bombs half way
> through rather than after you have a mostly working install.  If I can dig
> up more info, I'll post it.
>
> Also, re: anaconda docs and genhdlist -- the best info I had found was on
> the previously referenced site which I couldn't reach yesterday:

I just took a glance through the source code to 'logger' in the FreeBSD source
tree.

It's pretty compact, as these things go - no direct syslog interface - just
straight socket I/O and some parsing of stdio.

The file itself is less than 300 lines - some 45 of which are copyright and
versioning info.

The actual business end of the code consists of five functions, including
main(). It should be fairly trivial to incorporate this kind of facility into
the source tree of the 'loader' binary.

Is this the right place for it? Or would it be more a matter of adding a
logger command to the bootstrap/busybox tools and invoking it with system()
calls from anaconda?

Klaus