SATA disk modules load sequence for FC4 kickstart

ha haha hahaha_30k at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 25 01:54:49 UTC 2005

Hi,

 Ive got another problem for FC4 kickstart
installation. The problem is related to SATA module

 I have a HP workstation XW4200 machine. two SATA
disks are connected to motherboard's SATA ports
directly, and be detected to /dev/sda, /dev/sdb by
former FC2. two other hard disks are connected through
Promise SATA cards and detected as /dev/sdc and
/dev/sdd.

 Now when I tried to upgrade it to FC4, it detects the
hard drives in different order.

 FC4 loads sata_promise module first and then ata_piix
module. so that former /dev/sd{c,d} are detected as
/dev/sd{a,b}, and vice versa.

 So now I can not do upgrade to FC4 while preserve
orignal data on hard disks.

 If there is a way for me to specify SATA module
post-install?

 Or I have to recompile a new kernel to static-build
ata_piix into kernel, and compile sata_promise as a
loadable module?

 MANY thanks.