Software RAID and anaconda

Miles, Paul Paul.Miles at quadriga.com
Thu Mar 17 09:39:35 UTC 2005

Hello,

We're using custom kickstarts to install to HP DL140 servers. Since
these servers have 2 IDE hard drives, we're using RAID 1 software raid
to configure them.

The actual raid configuration works perfectly, the systems install,
although very slowly.

I tracked the slowness problem to the fact that anaconda appears to be
automatically rebuilding the RAID array on each install. I've tried
trashing the MBR (ie, dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda bs=1k count=512; dd
if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hdb bs=1k count=512) and this seems to perfectly
remove the partition table information as shown by fdisk -l but yet
still as soon as anaconda makes the partitions during the kickstart, the
RAID rebuilding kicks off again.

Vital statistics :

Fedora core 3
HP Dl140 - xeon processor
1GB ram
2 x IDE hard drives

Any thoughts or suggestions would be gratefully received,

Paul
This e-mail is the property of Quadriga Worldwide Ltd
The message (and any associated files) is intended only for the use of
the individual or entity to which it is addressed and may contain information
that is confidential, subject to copyright or constitutes a trade secret. If
you are not the intended recipient you are hereby notified that any
dissemination, copying or distribution of this message, or files associated
with this message, is strictly prohibited. If you have received this
message in error, please notify us immediately by replying to the message
and deleting it from your computer. Messages sent to and from us may be
monitored.  Internet communications cannot be guaranteed to be secure or
error-free as information could be intercepted, corrupted, lost, destroyed,
arrive late or incomplete, or contain viruses. Therefore, we do not accept
responsibility for any errors or omissions that are present in this
message, or any attachment, that have arisen as a result of e-mail
transmission. If verification is required, please request a hard-copy
version. Any views or opinions presented are solely those of the author and
do not necessarily represent those of the company.