Software RAID and anaconda

Jim Wildman jim at rossberry.com
Thu Mar 17 11:56:33 UTC 2005

On Thu, 17 Mar 2005, Miles, Paul wrote:

> I tracked the slowness problem to the fact that anaconda appears to be
> automatically rebuilding the RAID array on each install. I've tried
> trashing the MBR (ie, dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda bs=1k count=512; dd
> if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hdb bs=1k count=512) and this seems to perfectly
> remove the partition table information as shown by fdisk -l but yet
> still as soon as anaconda makes the partitions during the kickstart, the
> RAID rebuilding kicks off again.

This is the nature of RAID.  When you create the RAID, well, it gets
created which means the images have to be synced, and with RAID 1,
everything happens on both drives.  With IDE drives, probably on the
same channel, it's gonna be slow.  Have you considered creating the RAID
after install?

Jim Wildman, CISSP, RHCE       jim at rossberry.com http://www.rossberry.com
Thomas Paine