e1000 still

Ed Brown ebrown at lanl.gov
Tue Mar 22 17:37:34 UTC 2005

I don't believe there is a need to wait 30 or 45 seconds for spanning
tree calculations on the switch.  There is something much more subtle
going on here.  As I mentioned before, we've tried capturing traffic
with a passive analyzer between the box being built and the switch, and
just this change to the network connections allow the install to proceed
normally (as does inserting a small 10/100 hub inline, or replacing the
gig switch with a 100Mb switch.)  It isn't about spanning tree
calculations on the switch, I think there is some sub-second change in
the characteristics of the negotiation or anaconda's network setup, when
spanning tree is on or off, that make a difference.

-Ed