e1000 still

Edward F. Brown ebrown at lanl.gov
Sat Mar 26 15:49:49 UTC 2005

>> We filed a support request with Red Hat.  Their
>> response was basically that anaconda and the rest of
>> the installer were working as designed, and that we
>> should alter the parameters on our HP Procurve
>> switches (turning "spanning tree" off and turning
>> "portfast" on were suggested).
>
> That's not in keeping with the errors I was seeing. My understanding
> is that if it was a STP problem, the machine wouldn't get an addresses
> or be pingable. I was also seeing problems on small gigabit switches
> that didn't do STP.
>
> At this point, I haven't thought about it in awhile. So I forget the
> details of what I was seeing.

It's been some weeks since I looked closely at the problem too, but this
fits with what I remember, and why the association with STP seems
incidental, not causal, to me.  The reverse dns lookup would succeed, the
2nd stage image would be retrieved, and the last message on the alt-F3
console, when "Failed to log in to ftp server" appeared on F1, would be
about trying to retrieve the kickstart file.

-Ed