Display progress during long kickstart %post script

David Bartlett davidbartlett2003 at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Mar 3 15:10:50 UTC 2005

Hi all,

I run a quite lengthy %post script (runtime = 5-10
minutes) as part of my kickstart build and would like
to include some useful output to reassure my users
that the build process is running normally and has not
hung. A progress bar to match the [text interface]
anaconda style would be ideal, but lines of text
simply echoed to screen would be ok in the meantime.

It looks as though the %post is spawned out of
anaconda and I'm not sure how to display messages to
screen from within my %post script (as anaconda still
owns the screen). I am reluctant to change the
anaconda python code as I really want to keep the
vendor tools standard. I use the text-only version of
anaconda and have no interest in the GUI component.

Has anyone else successfully controlled the screen
whilst anaconda is running, or have any thoughts on
this?

Thanks in advance.

Rgds, David Bartlett.