Display progress during long kickstart %post script

Michael Shuler mshuler at rackspace.com
Thu Mar 3 15:37:10 UTC 2005

David Bartlett wrote:
> I run a quite lengthy %post script (runtime = 5-10
> minutes) as part of my kickstart build and would like
> to include some useful output to reassure my users
> that the build process is running normally and has not
> hung.

We use the following method as a beginning point, in order to have
interactive post-install scripting, as well as logging the complete
output of post-install to the terminal and to a text file, which is
uploaded back to the kickstart server for documentation, as the last
script called in %post.

%post
# change to new vt and set stout/stdin
exec < /dev/tty6 > /dev/tty6