Display progress during long kickstart %post script

Daniel Segall dan at half-asleep.com
Fri Mar 4 15:20:25 UTC 2005

It's really odd, but I can't get this to work properly with my dialog
scripts. The first part of my %post does some basic NFS mounting, &
copying of files. I see all of this fine on the console. But when I call
my external post install script, a dialog is supposed to pop up saying "is
this server going into nis?", and you answer yes or no. This dialog does
not appear. By default it is at yes, so if I hit enter at this point, the
next dialog will show up as it should.

Anyone know if there is some special argument that needs to be passed
prior to launching my external script? Mayber something in the script
itself? Below are the sniplets of code at the beginning of the post and
the end. Please excuse my sloppy code, I'm an admin not a programmer ;)

Thanks,
-Dan

--------------- snip --------------------

%post --interpreter /bin/sh
exec < /dev/tty3 > /dev/tty3
chvt 3

cat <<EOF >>/etc/motd
#######################################
## KICKSTART STILL IN PROGRESS!!!!!! ##
#######################################
`cat /etc/redhat-release` - Installed `date`

EOF

--------------- snip --------------------

# Execute our post install
echo "  "                                       >>/root/ks.log
if [ -f /root/linux-postinstall.sh ]; then
        echo " * Executing Post-Install..."     >>/root/ks.log
        echo " * Executing Post-Install..."
        chmod +x /root/linux-postinstall.sh
        exec /root/linux-postinstall.sh         >>/root/ks.log
else
        echo "Can't find linux-postinstall.sh." >>/root/ks.log
        echo "Can't find linux-postinstall.sh."
fi

# We done.
echo " * Post-Install complete. System rebooting." >>/root/ks.log
echo " * Post-Install complete. System rebooting."
chvt 1
sleep 10
exit 0
#EOF