remotely installing FC using vnc ...

Ryan Sweet rsweet at aoes.com
Tue Mar 8 08:24:43 UTC 2005

On Mon, 7 Mar 2005, bruce wrote:

> hi...
>
> i'm trying to remotely install/upgrade a remote server. i am not a linux
> admin.. i have no idea as to what a 'boot option' is, nor where it should
> go, or what file it should be in!!!

Here you go:
- find the "isolinux" dir from FC3.  "cd" to it (e.g. "cd
/home/bruce/fc3/i386/isolinux").

- as the root user, copy "vmlinuz" and "initrd.img" to your /boot directory.
IMPORTANT: use different file names in the target dir:

 	cp vmlinuz /boot/vmlinuz-fc3install
 	cp initrd.img /boot/initrd-fc3install.img

- if you are upgrading a server that has lilo (older redhat, you probably
don't have this as it hasn't been the default since redhat 7.x) then edit
/etc/lilo.conf, and copy one of the existing kernel and initrd entries,
modifying it to use the files that you just copied to /boot/.  Then run
"/sbin/lilo".

-if you are upgrading a server that boots with grub (you probably are), edit
/etc/grub.conf as follows:
--
title Fedora Core 3 installation
 	root (hd0,0)

Once you create the new entry in /etc/grub.conf, make sure that you set the
"default" parameter in /etc/grub.conf to default to your new entry (this is
easiest if you make your new entry the first one and then set "default" to 0).

The "vnc-connect" parameter (see the kickstart documentation) tells the system
to start the GUI installer in a vncserver and to connect to the vncviewer
listening on the specified address.  To do this you must be able to open
vnc connections from the remote site to your workstation.  Once you have setup
the installer, reboot the system and on your workstation run "vncviewer
-listen".  If everything goes correctly then the system should start the gui
installer and connect it to your vncviewer.

The argument "console=ttyS0" tells the installer to start on serial console 0.
(usually com1 for dos/win32 folks).  If you have serial console access and the
hardware supports it, then you can do a text based install that way (remove
the vnc arguments).

good luck -
-ryan