Problems with Network-Based Install

Kurt Bishop kurt at netdirect.ca
Thu Mar 10 20:53:20 UTC 2005

Hi,

We have been having some problems getting a Kickstart install to be 100%
automated.  We are PXE booting the system which then fetches the
Kickstart file from a remote NFS share.  However, the system we're
installing to has 2 network devices and the installer always pops up and
asks us which device it should use before fetching the Kickstart file.
Manually selecting a device moves the install along just fine but we
need this to be automated.  I have tried adding the following:

network ksdevice=eth0 ip=dhcp

to the kernel parameters but the installer simply hangs at the
"running /sbin/loader" line.  The other virtual consoles don't show
anything interesting either.  Console 3 shows "* getting kickstart file"
and console 4 just shows messages about the interfaces coming online.
Here's some details on our environment:

- RedHat Enterprise AS 3 Update 4
- using the pxeboot initrd & kernel from RHEL Disc 1 to get the system
booted

Any help here would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.