e1000 still

S. W. Davison s.davison at computer.org
Sat Mar 19 15:07:41 UTC 2005

John and Others -

I'm having the same problem.  It shows up as a dialog
box saying "That directory could not be mounted from
the server".  Then if you tell it to try again, without
changing any parameters, it eventually manages to
mount the NFS share and proceed with the installation.

I have not gotten as far as John has
toward a solution.  I cannot get the NFS install
to work without interacting with the install dialogs
(sometimes several times) to tell it to try the NFS
mount again.

Can you tell me how you modified loader.c and installed it
into initrd.img to get NFS installs working?  Or maybe
you can point me to the right documentation source?

We are using Red Hat Enterprise Linux 3, Update 4.
According to rpm --query, it has anaconda-9.1.4.1.
That version of anaconda (according to
http://rhn.redhat.com/errata/RHEA-2004-518.html)
is supposed to have a fix for the problem.

I assume that the initrd.img and vmlinuz from the
isolinux directory of CD 1 of the rhel3u4 install set
were built using the up-to-date anaconda, pump, etc.
packages that seem to be included in the rhel3u4
distro, but I don't know how to verify that.

We filed a support request with Red Hat.  Their
response was basically that anaconda and the rest of
the installer were working as designed, and that we
should alter the parameters on our HP Procurve
switches (turning "spanning tree" off and turning
"portfast" on were suggested).

Since the NFS mount always succeeds eventually, it
seems to me that the problem should be fixable by
adjusting timing parameters or retry limits in
the code.  (Of course, I haven't looked at that
code yet.)

But I can't figure out how to get the rebuilt
installer binaries into initrd.img, if that's where
they have to to.  So I would be grateful for any
suggestions or documentation you might have.

Stowe Davison