e1000 still

Hegge, Johnathan jhegge at permeo.com
Tue Mar 22 15:34:58 UTC 2005

I think spanning tree can take up to 45 seconds (Cisco gurus can
correct) and I've often seen it take some time.  It is a good idea.

> That parameter would then be passed to init which would then wait the
> specified amount of time.  Changing your network configuration to
> accommodate a operating system install is ridiculous.

I completely agree.  Turning off spanning tree could cause further
problems, even if not related directly to the RH server.  Add a few
aging hubs in the topology and turn off spanning tree, then just start
counting until the network gets knocked down.

Instead of turning off spanning tree, I'd turn on portfast and add storm
control as well -- at least to protect the servers from ill-behaved
clients.