Proper location of ks.cfg file

dan info at hostinthebox.net
Wed Mar 23 23:05:19 UTC 2005

Hello, all -

I've been toying around with Kickstart-based installations, and even
gone as far as making a PHP page that dynamically generates a kickstart
install file, that is available over HTTP kickstart, for a specific
machine based on MAC address.

However, I have never been able to completely automate the process.
I've always had to specify ks= at the command-prompt.

I've seen several documents that mention how a kickstart file is
initialized, but very few that seem sure on the physical location on
disk of the ks.cfg file.  Some say inside isolinux/, some say on the
root of the disk.  Others I've read say that this "cannot be done".
Even RedHat's own Administartor's Guide isn't particularly clear.

So I guess what I'm asking here is, what should the physical location of
the ks.cfg file be?  I suppose I can manipulate this, relative to the
disk layout, by editing syslinux.cfg, but I'd rather do it the right
way, and not have to create some dirty hack for this issue.

Thanks for your time
-dant