Proper location of ks.cfg file

Jim Wildman jim at rossberry.com
Thu Mar 24 01:29:42 UTC 2005

On Wed, 23 Mar 2005, dan wrote:

> I've been toying around with Kickstart-based installations, and even
> gone as far as making a PHP page that dynamically generates a kickstart
> install file, that is available over HTTP kickstart, for a specific
> machine based on MAC address.

I would be very interested in seeing your code.

> However, I have never been able to completely automate the process.
> I've always had to specify ks= at the command-prompt.

Can't get away, from that, but you can automate it several ways.

1) pxe  You can specify your ks option as part of a pxe invocation.
ie..
	[root at hross pxelinux.cfg]# cat base.cfg
	prompt=0
	label linux
        kernel vmlinuz-34
		append rw load_ramdisk=1 prompt_ramdisk=0
		ramdisk_size=16384 initrd=initrd-34.img
		ks=http://10.8.80.254/centos34/base-ks.cfg vnc

	(the last three lines have to be a single line)
	Go here http://www.owlriver.com/tips/pxe-install/ for a short
	cookbook on doing pxe.  Also here
	http://www.colug.net/notes/0502mtg/

2) You can modify isolinux.cfg on a boot cd so the default stanza has
the correct invocation

3) If you are rebuilding boxes, pull the initrd.img and vmlinuz off of
boot.iso and create an rpm that has a %post script that uses grubby to
add the correct info to /etc/grub.conf

Here is a %post section...

%post
/sbin/grubby --add-kernel=/boot/rh3boot.vmlinuz \
        --initrd /boot/rh3boot.initrd.img \
        --args "console=ttyS0,tty0 ks=http://10.129.7.209/ksbase/ksconf.php?type =rhas30u3as" \
        --title "Red Hat 3 install ($version)"

/sbin/grubby --add-kernel=/boot/rh3boot.vmlinuz \
        --initrd /boot/rh3boot.initrd.img \
        --args "ks=nfs:10.128.138.253:/nfsserver/lrh3/installdb/lrh3-u3-ks.cfg"
\
        --title "Red Hat 3 install ($version) test"

Jim Wildman, CISSP, RHCE       jim at rossberry.com http://www.rossberry.com
Thomas Paine