problems with kickstart and automated partitioning

Klaus Steden klaus.steden at thomson.net
Fri May 20 06:17:58 UTC 2005

Hello,

I'm attempting to run automated KickStart install but I'm getting stymied by
the partitioning phase. It works fine if I use two partitions + swap, but if
I try to use three partitions + swap, I get errors from Anaconda (they vary
depending on the options I specify in the 'part' command).

Here is my current desired partition table:

-- cut --

    bootloader --location=mbr
    part /    --fstype=ext3 --onpart=hda1 --size=500
    part swap --fstype=swap --onpart=hda2 --noformat --recommended
    part /var --fstype=ext3 --ondisk=hda3 --size=1000
    part /usr --fstype=ext3 --ondisk=hda4 --size=1000 --grow

-- cut --

Here is the error I get from anaconda:

-- cut --
Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "/usr/bin/anaconda", line 1122, in ?
      instClass.setInstallData(id)
    File "/usr/lib/anaconda/kickstart.py", line 1440, in setInstallData
      raise KickstartError, e
kickstart.KickstartValueError: specified disk hda3 in partition command which
does not exist
install exited abnormally
etc.

-- cut --

Can someone clue me in, or help me debug my partition table? I know that
/dev/hda[1-4] don't exist as device files when anaconda starts ... do they
need to be there, or does it create them automagically?

Any help is appreciated!

thanks,
Klaus

I can't grok from the anaconda docs what exactly I'm doing wrong. The disk is
pre-partitioned (using 'sfdisk') so I know for sure that all the partitions
exist.