Is a kickstart installation without DHCP (manual IP) possible?

Christian.Rohrmeier at SCHERING.DE Christian.Rohrmeier at SCHERING.DE
Fri May 20 08:26:17 UTC 2005

Hello Kickstarters,

I am trying to perform a kickstart install in a LAN segment that doesn't
have DHCP available. I am booting from the 1st RHEL CD.

My boot: prompt options to RHEL(2.1/3/4) look like this:

linux ks=http://some.server/some.script ip=1.2.3.4 netmask=255.255.255.128
gateway=1.2.3.1 dns=1.2.3.2

The result of this is that the a normal interactive install is started from
CD; the kickstart script is ignored. I have tried to put the ks= at the
back of the boot: prompt options, but that didn't help any. Also adding a
ksdevice=eth0 option didn't help.

How does one use a remote kickstart script when there is no dynamic IP
available?

Many thanks,

Christian Rohrmeier

Christian Rohrmeier
Schering AG
Corporate IT - Infrastructure and Services
Computer Systems and Operations
System Administration - Research and Development
Tel +49 30 468 15794
Fax +49 30 468 95794