Is a kickstart installation without DHCP (manual IP) possible?

Christian.Rohrmeier at SCHERING.DE Christian.Rohrmeier at SCHERING.DE
Fri May 20 09:12:53 UTC 2005

Hi Klaus,

such craziness!!!

I will give it a shot.

Thanks,

Christian

_________________
Christian Rohrmeier
Schering AG
Corporate IT - Infrastructure and Services
Computer Systems and Operations
System Administration - Research and Development
Tel +49 30 468 15794
Fax +49 30 468 95794

                      Klaus Steden
                      <klaus.steden at thomson.
                      net>                           To:      Discussion list about Kickstart <kickstart-list at redhat.com>
                      Sent by:                       cc:
                      kickstart-list-bounces         Subject: Re: Is a kickstart installation without DHCP (manual IP) possible?
                      @redhat.com

                      20.05.2005 10:39
                      Please respond to
                      Discussion list about
                      Kickstart

> Hello Kickstarters,
>
> I am trying to perform a kickstart install in a LAN segment that doesn't
> have DHCP available. I am booting from the 1st RHEL CD.
>
> My boot: prompt options to RHEL(2.1/3/4) look like this:
>
> linux ks=http://some.server/some.script ip=1.2.3.4
netmask=255.255.255.128
> gateway=1.2.3.1 dns=1.2.3.2
>
> The result of this is that the a normal interactive install is started
from
> CD; the kickstart script is ignored. I have tried to put the ks= at the
> back of the boot: prompt options, but that didn't help any. Also adding a
> ksdevice=eth0 option didn't help.
>
> How does one use a remote kickstart script when there is no dynamic IP
> available?

Christian,

I ran into almost that exact problem very recently, and found the only way
convince anaconda to leave the CD alone was to put literally nothing on the
CD
(I'm using VMware to test, though, so I didn't make any coasters) - just
the
'isolinux' directory and its' contents.

After seeing that the CD isn't useable, anaconda will attempt to fetch the
netstg2.img from somewhere, and installation proceeds acoordingly.

hth,
Klaus