clearpart --linux --initlabel ok?

Christian.Rohrmeier at SCHERING.DE Christian.Rohrmeier at SCHERING.DE
Sat May 21 16:04:50 UTC 2005

Hi All,

I ran into this problem recently. I used "clearpart --linux". My admins
found that after install the system didn't boot properly. It turns out the
server had previously had a non-linux OS installed. Therefore I find that
"--initlabel" is very important to guarantee that anaconda will be able to
partition the drive, unless ofcourse you know for sure that there was only
Linux on your server perviously.

-Christian

_________________
Christian Rohrmeier
Schering AG
Corporate IT - Infrastructure and Services
Computer Systems and Operations
System Administration - Research and Development
Tel +49 30 468 15794
Fax +49 30 468 95794

                      Mike McLean
                      <mikem.rtp at gmail.com>
                      Sent by:                       To:      Discussion list about Kickstart <kickstart-list at redhat.com>
                      kickstart-list-bounces         cc:
                      @redhat.com                    Subject: Re: clearpart --linux --initlabel ok?

                      21.05.2005 02:32
                      Please respond to Mike
                      McLean; Please respond
                      to Discussion list
                      about Kickstart

On 5/20/05, Jason L Tibbitts III <tibbs at math.uh.edu> wrote:
> My understanding is that --initlabel instructs kickstart to completely
> reinitialize the partition table back to an empty state, which would
> render --linux somewhat irrelevant.

That is correct.   The --initlabel option is pretty extreme, and is
not normally needed.