Accessing boot: prompt options inside KS script

Christian.Rohrmeier at SCHERING.DE Christian.Rohrmeier at SCHERING.DE
Sat May 21 16:20:40 UTC 2005

Hi Klaus,

Thanks for the /proc/cmd tip.

I extracted the commandline options like this:

ip=`grep ip /proc/cmdline | sed 's/.*ip=//' |sed 's/ .*//'`

The first grep is there to return a blank line incase the option is not
present at all (else the second sed would return the portion of the line
after the first whitespace even though ip= was not present).

The two seds split up the work, the first returns the entire command line
past ip=, and the second then retum the first part up to the first blank
space. Since all the command line options are space delimted, this works
just fine.

Busybox doesn't include awk, otherwise it would have been easier to just
use that. But awk is derived from sed, so sed does fine as well.

-Christian

_________________
Christian Rohrmeier
Schering AG
Corporate IT - Infrastructure and Services
Computer Systems and Operations
System Administration - Research and Development
Tel +49 30 468 15794
Fax +49 30 468 95794

                      Klaus Steden
                      <klaus.steden at thomson.
                      net>                           To:      Discussion list about Kickstart <kickstart-list at redhat.com>
                      Sent by:                       cc:
                      kickstart-list-bounces         Subject: Re: Accessing boot: prompt options inside KS script
                      @redhat.com

                      20.05.2005 12:23
                      Please respond to
                      Discussion list about
                      Kickstart

> Hi All,
>
> Is it possible to access the boot: prompt options in the %pre and %post
> scripts? As in, if on my bootprompt I have:
>
> linux ks=http://some.host/some.file -ip=1.2.3.4
>
> that I can then use the value of "-ip=" in the kickstart script itself?

Christian,

You can access these parameters by reading /proc/cmdline.

The contents of this file are read-only, and contain all the boot args
except
those that get used (and thus eaten) by the kernel (i.e. initrd=<initrd>
etc.).

It'll take a little bit of perl, awk, python, sed, or shell to turn them
into
something useful, but they're there if you need them.

hth,
Klaus