obnoxious/unnecessary package dependencies

Klaus Steden klaus.steden at thomson.net
Tue May 24 21:28:23 UTC 2005

Okay, I've got my kickstart setup working now ... but I'm a little mystified
as to why it's installing packages that are nowhere near what I've specified.
This is the packages list I'm specifying:

-- cut --
@ admin-tools
@ base-x
@ compat-arch-support
@ legacy-network-server
@ system-tools
e2fsprogs
grub
kernel
portmap
yp-tools
ypbind
-am-utils
-autofs
-- cut --

... but this is what gets installed:

-- cut --
@ legacy-network-server
@ icelandic-support
@ german-support
@ arabic-support
@ danish-support
@ catalan-support
@ bengali-support
@ spanish-support
@ brazilian-support
@ hebrew-support
@ estonian-support
@ french-support
@ system-tools
@ turkish-support
@ portuguese-support
@ finnish-support
@ norwegian-support
@ admin-tools
@ romanian-support
@ tamil-support
@ japanese-support
@ hindi-support
@ punjabi-support
@ gujarati-support
@ base-x
@ chinese-support
@ korean-support
@ welsh-support
@ italian-support
@ slovak-support
@ slovenian-support
@ ukrainian-support
@ czech-support
@ bulgarian-support
@ hungarian-support
@ swedish-support
@ british-support
@ polish-support
@ dutch-support
@ russian-support
@ greek-support
@ compat-arch-support
kernel
-autofs
grub
portmap
yp-tools
ypbind
-am-utils
e2fsprogs

-- cut --

Nothing against the Swedish, Punjabi, Czechs, or Bulgarians, but I really
don't need to support those locales, fonts, dictionaries, or desktops.

I really don't want this stuff installed, and I'm sure I didn't ask for it.

What gives? Is there a tidier way to get a stripped-down system without having
to specify everything manually?

thanks,
Klaus