network kickstart without dhcp server

Darren Birkett darren.birkett at gmail.com
Thu Nov 3 12:48:11 UTC 2005

>Is it possible to have my kickstart file on an nfs mount, the installation
media on another nfs mount, and to use a statically defined ip address
ip=9.9.9.9<http://9.9.9.9>gateway=
9.9.9.1 <http://9.9.9.1> netmask=255.255.255.0 <http://255.255.255.0>

>I'm not able to run a dhcp server in my environment so unless I can define
the networking info to my target machine at the boot prompt, it's not >going
to be able to access the kickstart or installation files on the network.

Well it would appear the answer is no. Redhat tries to get the kickstart
file off the nfs export BEFORE it uses the networking info provided on the
command line to set up its networking. And I was so excited...

Darren