partition cciss/c0d0 using ks.cfg file with multiple cciss devices attached

Christian.Rohrmeier at SCHERING.DE Christian.Rohrmeier at SCHERING.DE
Mon Nov 7 16:43:58 UTC 2005

Hello Reynold,

The following works for me, even on systems with 2 CPQRaid Controllers
(e.g. 5i with local disks plus 6400 with external SCSI Enclosure) and
various (CPQRaid-defined) locgical drives (e.g. c0d0, c0d1, c0d2,
c1d0,c1d2, etc.) "c0d0" is always the first logical disk on the first CPQ
RAID controller, and the rest go from there. Typical would be a DL380 with
4 local disks. These are setup as two RAID 1+0 mirrored drives (= 2 logical
drives.) Add to that a non-onboard RAID Controller (a CPQ 6400 say) with an
extneral enclosure and 12 drives, in a RAID 5 or RAID ADG setup.

The only thing I notice thats different from your script is that I use
"--initlabel" with clearpart, and that I use both "--drives=" and
"--ondisk=".

clearpart --drives=cciss/c0d0 --all --initlabel
part /boot --fstype ext3 --size 100 --asprimary --ondisk=cciss/c0d0
part swap --size 2000 --ondisk=cciss/c0d0
part / --fstype ext3 --size 8000 --ondisk=cciss/c0d0

Cheers,

Christian

_________________
Christian Rohrmeier
Schering AG
Corporate IT - Infrastructure and Services
Computer Systems and Operations
System Administration - Research and Development
Tel +49 30 468 15794
Fax +49 30 468 95794

             Reynold L Demarco
             <reynold.demarco@
             bms.com>                                                   To
             Sent by:                  kickstart-list at redhat.com
             kickstart-list-bo                                          cc
             unces at redhat.com
                                                                   Subject
                                       partition cciss/c0d0 using ks.cfg
             07.11.2005 16:06          file with multiple cciss devices
                                       attached

             Please respond to
              Discussion list
              about Kickstart
             <kickstart-list at r
                edhat.com>

Has anyone had luck auto-partitioning a cciss/c0d0 device using a ks.cfg
file and the ondisk parameter when there are multiple cciss devices on the
system?  Below is the snippet of my ks.cfg file I am using to try and
accomplish this.  Using the below snippet, if I leave off the ondisk
parameters, it all works, but spreads my filesystems across multiple disks
on the system, which is not what I want.  I want to force it to the
internal cciss/c0d0 disk only.  When I leave it this way, it retrieves the
base.img files, parses my config file, then gives me the error: "Could not
allocate the requested partitions:  Partitioning failed: Could not allocate
partitions."
clearpart --drives cciss/c0d0 --all
part /boot --fstype ext3 --size 512 --ondisk cciss/c0d0
part / --fstype ext3 --size 14000 --ondisk cciss/c0d0
part /var --fstype ext3 --size 10000 --ondisk cciss/c0d0
part /tmp --fstype ext3 --size 2000 --ondisk cciss/c0d0
part swap  --size 2048 --ondisk cciss/c0d0

If the cciss/c0d0 partition table is cleared, I do have enough room on the
disk for the above partitions.  I've tried the above with and without the
"=" as well.  I've also tried leaving out the clearpart and starting with a
blank disk.  And I can use the same exact snippet above except I replace
the cciss/c0d0 with the appropriate sda or hda on a system with hd or sd
drives and it works just fine when there are multiple hd or sd drives
attached.
Any help appreciated.  Thanks.