disk partitioning problem

Ian Leonard ian at smallworld.cx
Thu Nov 24 20:55:28 UTC 2005

I have a custom kickstart CD, based on RedHat 7.3 that has installed for
years on a number of motherboards. I have just got an Microspace
embedded board and it has failed. The reported problem is no disk space.
Flipping to a shell and running fdisk shows that the partitioning is
screwed up. For example a desired 50M boot partitions is 4.8GB because
the start and end cylinders are wrong.

At first I thought this was a problem reading the disk geometry (which I
suppose it actually is) but I tried redoing it by hand with fdisk and if
  I ask for a 50M partition, that's what I get.

What could be going wrong? Thanks.

--
Ian Leonard

Please ignore spelling and punctuation - I did.