Flash Drive

Joe Cooper joe at swelltech.com
Thu Oct 13 07:11:49 UTC 2005

Gary P wrote:

> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Jason L Tibbitts III"
> <tibbs at math.uh.edu>

That isn't the command that has been recommended to you.  You've added
"bs=1M count=512"...this is going to corrupt the filesystem.  I don't
know if it will prevent booting, but it isn't what you want to do.

Use the command that was recommended:

dd if=/home/diskboot.img of=/dev/sda

Nothing more.  This is not the time for improvising.  (BTW-Make sure
your earlier dd in the opposite direction hasn't overwritten your
diskboot.img.  That would also lead to brokenness of some degree.)

If that doesn't boot, then your systems won't boot from this particular
USB device.  That is stage one in your troubleshooting adventure.
You're trying to tackle too many things at once.  Getting a bigger image
is for after you know these servers will boot from the device you want
to boot from, and the command you've given is not the way to accomplish it.

Another aside...I use PXE booting when I have a slew of servers to
install.  No messing about with physical media...but you do have to
setup a few things on a local server.