Core includes Dialup?!?

Michael Shuler mshuler at rackspace.com
Wed Oct 5 14:25:20 UTC 2005

Brian Long wrote:
> What is the Red Hat reason for including the Dialup comps group in Core?
> This means any basic install has crap like wvdial, ppp, etc.  I
> explicitly have to exclude a lot of these packages that shouldn't be on
> any profiles except mobile laptops.

Just to clarify my agreement - ppp, etc., is only one example.  A "Core"
install, in my opinion, should be the bare minimum for a networked
server with remote SSH access.  That's it.

We maintain minimal kickstarts with around a 500M footprint, and it does
require a large amount of hacking to get it down to a proper core of
needed packages, in spite of the "mandatory" and "required" dictations.

Kind Regards,
Michael