Kickstart taking long time on RHEL 4 to start

Koree A. Smith koreesmith at gmail.com
Sun Sep 18 14:41:02 UTC 2005

I am having this same problem. It freezes at the "Determining Hostname and
Domain" screen. After about 10 minutes, it continues on. I have PXE
kickstarts for 7.3, 9.0, three versions of RHEL 3, and RHEL 4. RHEL 4 is the
first one to do this to me, yet the configs are all very close together, and
are identical network-wise. Furthermore, anything based on RHEL4 (CentOS,
Trustix) does the same thing. I would assume it's doing a name lookup and
it's having trouble finishing it. But, according to what's going on in the
virtual terminals, it is able to get its IP and find its domain name.

Koree

On 9/18/05, Rik Herrin <rikherrin at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi,
> I'm experiencing a strange RHEL v4 specific issue.
> For some reason, Kickstart is taking a very long time
> to start installing packages. I'm installing from an
> nfs server and the ks file is located on the nfs
> server. Anaconda quickly gets a DHCP request and goes
> through everything at a reasonable rate until it
> reaches the screen where it is about to install
> software (after it has completed the formatting). It
> then "hangs" for about 5-10 minutes before continuing.
> Even when installing software, I feel that it is
> quite slow. I had the exact same setup on RHEL v3 and
> it was about twice as fast. Furthermore, on RHEL v3,
> there was no delay in any part of the installation. I
> checked that traffic on the network and there was
> basically no traffic except for the installation (I
> had only a single machine installing). After taking
> some time to install the packages, the installation is
> successful. However, I was wondering why it takes so
> long to start installing the packages. Any ideas?
> Thanks for your time.
>
> PS. I attached the kickstart file if anyone's interested.

Koree A. Smith
koreesmith at gmail.com