kickstart to prompt for network

James_Martin at ao.uscourts.gov James_Martin at ao.uscourts.gov
Thu Sep 29 14:32:51 UTC 2005

kickstart-list-bounces at redhat.com wrote on 09/29/2005 10:21:01 AM:

> CD install

Thought so.  This is a bug in anaconda (in my mind anyhow, Red Hat won't
acknowledge this).  Basically during a CD kickstart, anaconda will never
prompt you for network information, no matter what combination of
networking information you leave in or out in the ks file.  There is a
fix, however, which I figured out while stumbling through the anaconda
code.  Here it is (I'm doing this from memory but I think that it's
right):

take the stage2.img from the CD, copy it /tmp or whatever.
mkdir /mnt/img
mkdir /tmp/new_img
mount -o loop /tmp/stag2.img /mnt/img
rsync -avv /mnt/img/* /tmp/img/

now you want to look at the /tmp/img/usr/lib/kistart.py

and comment out the below line:

dispatch.skipStep("network")

This will force kickstart to prompt for networking.

then create your new stage2.img :

mkcramfs /tmp/new_img

and copy it back to your temporary CD making directory, re-create your
ISO, burn it and you're good to go.

James S. Martin, RHCE
Contractor
Administrative Office of the United States Courts
Washington, DC
(202) 502-2394