Adding drivers to kickstart initrd.img

Koree A. Smith koreesmith at gmail.com
Fri Apr 14 12:35:48 UTC 2006

It's been a while since I've done it, but I used the instructions here:

http://lists.us.dell.com/pipermail/linux-poweredge/2003-August/009343.html

and adapted them into what I needed for the driver I was installing.
The above document probably won't give you all of the answers, but
it's a good start, and it didn't require me to rebuild anaconda.

Koree

On 4/14/06, Dan Carpenter <error27 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 4/13/06, Ryan C. Spaulding <rspaulding at mail.arc.nasa.gov> wrote:
> > I think that a rebuild of anaconda could fix this problem but I
> > could be totally going in the wrong direction.
> >

> A little bit in the wrong direction, yes.
>
> I'll forward you the driver disk in a seperate email.
> `dd if=3w-9xxx-4u3-amd64.144 of=/dev/fd0`
> Boot from the CD and use "linux dd" to specify that there is a driver
> disk.  You'll need a floppy or USB key or something.
>
> If you want to automate the package.
> 1)  Download the anaconda source rpm
> 2)  rpm2cpio anacond-src-foo-rpm | cpio -idmv
> 3)  make
> 4)  apply this patch
> https://www.redhat.com/archives/anaconda-devel-list/2005-November/msg00018.html
> 5)  cd loader2/ ; make loader
>
> 6-9) Unpack the initrd.  Replace the old loader with the one you just
> created.  Put the driver disk in the initrd as /dd.img.  Pack it back
> up.
>
> Then it's automatic.  Or you could just put the driver disk on the
> network I suppose but I don't recall the format for that...
>
> regards,
> dan carpenter

Koree A. Smith
--