FC5 on low memory systems

Peter Fales psfales at lucent.com
Tue Apr 18 15:17:11 UTC 2006

I'm having trouble getting an FC5 kickstart to work on a laptop with
only 128M of memory.   With

	part swap --recommended

it creates a 128M swap file which I believe is not big enough.  The install
aborts about halfway through and since the system reboots at that point,
it's hard to see if any errors occur.   But, I'm guessing it's running out
of space because if I use

	part swap --size 256

then the installation will complete successfully.   But, that's not the
right answer for systems with larger amounts of memory.  What I'd really
like is something like

	part --size MIN( 256, recommended )

or better, to have anaconda not create such a small swap partition in
the first place.

Any workarounds?  Should this be a bug against anaconda?

Thanks,

--
Peter Fales
Lucent Technologies