FC5 minimal

Robin Bowes robin-lists at robinbowes.com
Sat Apr 29 19:05:52 UTC 2006

Jesse Keating wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-04-17 at 10:37 -0700, Shabazian, Chip wrote:
>> Be aware however, that this usually results in a system that is
>> unusable.  You need to build back up from @base in order to get a good
>> build.  I have no idea what these packages might be for FC5.
>
> %packages --nobase
> @Core
>
> will give you a system that is usable, but has no yum, no lftp, no man
> pages, no a lot of stuff.  You do get rpm, and thus python so thats
> good.  It is usable, just difficult to add to it from there.

I've been working on this today, and this post scratch my itch nicely!

I use this:

%packages --nobase --resolvedeps
@Core
yum
openssh-server
openssh-clients
# list of other packages here

This way I can add only just those packages I need and don't get all the
other cruft that comes with the standard install and isn't needed on
servers.

Now, if I could only work out how to set LANG to en_GB.UTF-8 on
installation ...

R.