trying to mount the dvd during post install.

Edward F. Brown ebrown at lanl.gov
Tue Aug 29 18:24:18 UTC 2006

On Tue, August 29, 2006 9:09 am, John Brussard wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> After the Kickstart is complete and the %post install is running, I am
> unable to mount the dvd and copy extra files from the dvd to the system.
>
> The %post makes the /mnt/dvdrom directory but does not mount the /dev/dvd
> and copy the customer files, IT DOES however continue on with the %post.
>
> Any ideas?

Someone might have the exact answer to your question, but if not, I find
that there is no better %post debug and devel environment than to simply
open a shell and see what is going on.  (In fact, I would very much like
to see this capability built into kickstart as a simple option: specify a
DEBUG parameter, and, on error, a shell prompt is provided.)  Here's how
to do it for yourself:

%post
... some command that deserves an error check...
if [ $? -ne 0 ]; then
  chvt 3
  exec < /dev/tty3 > /dev/tty3 2>/dev/tty3
  sh
fi

Now try your commands manually, see what the errors are, try to find the
workaround, and possibly finish successfully, without lots of starting
completely over to test fixes.  This is helpful when developing %post
scripts, and it's very useful even in working scripts, to offer the
ability to workaround onetime issues, like forgetting to put the cd or a
network path down or a file on a remote server missing: you can almost
always finish successfully without kickstarting repeatedly to work it out.
 Of course, edit the kickstart file when the problem is discovered.

I actually put the chvt/exec at the top of %post, and the error test/shell
command after every command that I want to be sure executes successfully.
My whole %post runs in this chvt'ed window, so I can see what is going on.
Also, my install runs in text mode, not sure how this would work if the
install is in graphical mode.

hth,
Ed