What's wrong with this ks.cfg?

Andrew Leahy aleahy at knox.edu
Fri Dec 8 22:24:48 UTC 2006

Greetings,

I've been using kickstart to configure a small computing lab since FC2.
  Generally, I've had great luck with it, but I'm having a heck of a
time trying to update my ks.cfg file (attached) to FC6.  From what I can
tell, at least three things are failing in the script:

1.  The root password never gets written.

2.  authconfig fails with the error message (on VT1): "authconfig:
unexpected argument"

3.  xconfig will not work configure xorg.conf, complaining that the
"requested resolution 1280x1024 is not supported . . . "

I'm guessing that #1 occurs because of #2.  Here's my syntax for authconfig:

authconfig  --enableshadow --enablemd5 --enablecache --enableldap
--enableldapauth --ldapserver=leibniz.lab.knet.edu --ldapbasedn="o=knox
college,c=us" --enablekrb5 --krb5realm=KNOX.EDU
--krb5kdc=knoxsrdr.knox.edu --krb5adminserver=knoxsrdr.knox.edu

authconfig from the commandline will fail with the same error _if_ the
quotation marks around the ldapbasedn argument are removed and, low and
behold, when I look at the anaconda-ks.cfg that is generated from the
installation that is exactly how the authconfig line is written--without
the quotes.  Is this a known bug?  Is there any way around it?

I'm equally flummoxed by the xconfig problems.  Here are the relevant
lines from ks.cfg.

xconfig --driver=nv --depth=24 --resolution=1280x1024
--defaultdesktop=KDE --startxonboot --videoram=65535
monitor --monitor="HP A4033A 21-inch Display"

I've also tried an alternative monitor line with --hsync and --vsync
specified manually.  Same luck.  Again, I can configure the system with
no problem using system-config-display.  Any ideas?

Thanks for your help.

Andrew Leahy