Inserting network driver into initrd.img

Puc, Bernard bpuc at 454.com
Thu Feb 16 21:05:51 UTC 2006

https://www.redhat.com/archives/anaconda-devel-list/2005-November/msg00018.htm>

> regards,
> dan carpenter

Thanks for the tip about loading the -BOOT kernel.  That made debugging the
driver easier.  I had compatibility issues which I've been able to resolve
by compiling the module correctly for the 2.4.21-4ELBOOT kernel.  So, I have
a network driver (bcm5700) that works when I use kernel 2.4.21-4ELBOOT.  But
now, dhclient complains about CONFIG_FILTER or CONFIG_PACKET not being set
in the kernel.  So dhcp doesn't work.  This might be a separate issue
however.

So, I still have the same symptoms as before with my installation disk: it
cannot find a suitable driver for the network device.

Let me back up a bit and see if there's another way to get where I need to
go:  What I want to do is setup an installation procedure for our
manufacturing people to install RH via a kickstart file and some network
server.  In the past, we were able to use the installation CDROM to boot
from, and then we'd access a kickstart file via nfs; installation discs were
also available via nfs.  Now, with the new server we are using, the old
installation disc does not have the correct network driver.  Thus, my
efforts at adding the driver to the installation disc.

Is this the only way to do what I want?

Thanks again.

LEGAL NOTICE:
Unless expressly stated otherwise, this message is confidential and may be privileged. It is intended for the addressee(s) only. Access to this e-mail by anyone else is unauthorized. If you are not an addressee, any disclosure or copying of the contents or any action taken (or not taken) in reliance on it is unauthorized and may be unlawful. If you are not an addressee, please inform the sender immediately.