Smallest Possible Kickstart configs for RHEL3 and/or RHEL4?

Shabazian, Chip Chip.Shabazian at bankofamerica.com
Tue Feb 7 21:31:01 UTC 2006

I used this script to get myself down to 68 rpms and 262MB on a bootable
RHEL 3 machine.

rpm -qa --qf "%{NAME}\n" > rpms
# remove rpm and kernel from the generated list or you can't add/remove
packages, or boot!
for i in `cat rpms`; do rpm -e $i; if [ "$?" -eq 0 ] ; then  echo -e "$i
has been removed" >> removed_rpms.txt ; fi; done

Re-run the script until no more packages are deleted.

I want to try this again with a --nobase build when I have time to see
how many of my removes I don't have to list with that flag.

After I used the above script, I then evaluated what was left, added
back packages *I* wanted, and ended up with the below %packages section.

%packages
# you COULD delete the following, but I want them
#-portmap
#-openssh-clients
#-openssh-server
#-openssh
#-openssl
#-vim-minimal
#-vim-common
#-dhclient
# To install a Minimum X environment, the following is all that is
needed
# XFree86-twm
-cyrus-sasl
-cyrus-sasl-md5