Can multiple kickstart files be added to cdrom

Dag Wieers dag at wieers.com
Mon Feb 13 07:33:31 UTC 2006

On Mon, 13 Feb 2006, Omer Faruk Sen wrote:

> Is it possible to embed more than one kickstart  that will match the
> installation interface's MAC address. What I want is to use boot system
> using virtual CD (using iLO) to install multiple systems but matching
> kickstart conf file will be used with the matching MAC address.

I would look at creating special programs for syslinux (isolinux in your
case). I'm very interested to have something like this as well. With the
following features:

 + based on a config-file with different mac-addresses + configuration.
   eg.:

	[00:0a:0b:0c:0d:0e]
	kickstart = ks-proxy.cfg
	ip-address = 10.1.2.3
	netmask = 255.255.255.0
	gateway = 10.1.2.1
	nameserver = 10.2.3.4
	interface = eth1
	boot-options = hda=noide panic=30

	[default]
	kickstart = ks-dhcp.cfg
	boot-options = panic=30

 + the syslinux program would then parse this file, use the correct
   section (based on any or all mac-addresses) and convert variables in
   this kickstart-file by its values.

   eg. ks-proxy.cfg

	### Kickstart
	network --bootproto=static --ip=%(ip-address)s --netmask=%(netmask)s --gateway=%(gateway)s --nameserver=%(nameser)s --device=%(interface)s

 + the syslinux program should also use (add?) the boot-options to the
   kernel command line.

This would effectively allow us to create a single ISO image that would
work for all systems and only requires us to update the config-file in
case we have new hardware and create new kickstart files if we have a
different profile.

I'm currently designing a tool to do exactly this in python, but instead
of letting the bootloader take decisions, I'm letting the http-server make
decisions after a PXE boot and write the custom kickstart file on-the-fly.

Kind regards,