static ips and automation

Joe Van Dyk joevandyk at gmail.com
Tue Feb 14 03:55:04 UTC 2006

Hi,

Is there some obvious way that I'm missing to easily give a computer a
static IP address (and gateway/nameserver) during an automated
kickstart installation?  Each computer has their own IP and some are
on multiple networks (i.e. more than NIC).

Currently, the kickstart installation gives each one a DHCP address,
then after the installation is complete and the computer reboots,
someone then has to go through the redhat GUI and enter in its
networking information.  (And then run a script that nfs mounts a
directory and installs some additional rpms that depend on it being
networked correctly.)

And say I've got twenty computers all set up (with RHEL 3).  Would I
use up2date on them to keep them err, up to date?  That involves me
setting up a server somewhere with updated RPMs?

Sorry for the silly questions.  I'm not a system administrator at all
and I have no idea why I'm the one doing this.

Joe