static ips and automation

Lavender, Leo LLavender at kmg.com
Tue Feb 14 13:11:29 UTC 2006

Check out
http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/enterprise/RHEL-3-Manual/sysadmin-gui
de/index.html for kickstart.

Here's a couple of example lines.

network --device eth0 --bootproto static --ip nnn.nnn.nnn.nnn --netmask
255.255.248.0 --gateway nnn.nnn.nnn.nnn --nameserver nnn.nnn.nnn.nnn
--hostname george03
authconfig --enableshadow --enablemd5 --enablenis --nisdomain kmgep
--nisserver nnn.nnn.nnn.nnn

Post install scripts can do the rest for you.

I defer to the experts fot update methods. However, since you are RHEL
3, I assume that your applications are release sensitive. Could be worth
dedicating a test machine. Local satillite servers, etc., will take more
admin.

Use more Google.

Good luck, Leo