static ips and automation

Klaus Steden klaus.steden at thomson.net
Wed Feb 15 00:11:43 UTC 2006

I could have sworn Dan Trainor said this Tue, Feb 14, 2006 at 05:02:55PM -0700 ...

> Howdy -
>
> I did the below, and even went as far as being able to use those
> variables for on-the-fly configuration of some of our proprietary
> applications.  It works well.  I'm just trying to convey the level of
> flexibility involved here.

Further to Dan's point,

I use Kickstart to manage unattended installs for a variety of systems here -
workstations, dev machines, render nodes of various flavours, miscellaneous
servers, etc. of various flavours of kickstart-ready Linux (RedHat, Fedora,
CentOS, Whitebox, etc.) across multiple sites.

My install kit is barely 10 MB, and with a USB key or a bootable ISO, I can
run multiple unattended installations simultaneously with just a couple
parameters at boot time, covering a variety of system configurations -
multiple NICs, SCSI vs. IDE vs. SATA, static vs. dynamic IPs, etc.

It gives me a framework that makes it easy to delegate tasks like this to
people who aren't Linux-savvy (interns, etc.), or even if they are, to do
rapid disaster recovery on workstations and render nodes.

It's a very powerful framework, if you explore it in some detail. It saves me
a ton of time and allows for very easy automation.

Klaus