kickstart + VNC + virtual terminal

vlad.agranovsky at gmail.com vlad.agranovsky at gmail.com
Tue Jan 31 10:49:57 UTC 2006

Philip Rowlands wrote:

> | All the time while pre-install runs I see only the "initial"
> | installation screen on my VNC client, I can't see the progress of
> | the pre-install. Then, when the pre-install finishes, I see the
> | nice "Installing Packages" graphical progress on the VNC client.
> | Then, when post-install starts, the picture is stuck and I have
> | no way to see the progress of the post-install.
>
> %pre and %post scripts output to VC3, or in your example, VC6.
> If you need to see them in the GUI, perhaps run an xterm with
> the right DISPLAY set?

Well, in my environment xterm doesn't work - it just fails with
"segmentation fault". But kterm and rxvt work pretty fine.
Something like this:
   %post --nochroot --interpreter /bin/sh
   rxvt -fn fixed -geometry 80x40-5-5 -e bash postinstall.sh

It will run the postinstall script in a terminal window created
directly on the Anaconda mini-wm (i.e., above the graphics
installation window). Pay attention that the mini-wm is quite
restrictive - it doesn't allow you to resize or move a window,
it doesn't allow you to copy-paste text between windows, etc.
Another option is to direct rxvt to your "normal" window manager
(or maybe to your Xvnc server) using 'rxvt -display'. This way
you are not faced with the mini-wm restrictions (but you have
to pass your display setting somehow to the installation).

Has anybody else implemented a similar configuration?
Any more ideas on the item?

Thanks.
Vlad