Re: AI – Anaconda Image

Frozen River fdd.river at gmail.com
Tue Jun 6 10:42:28 UTC 2006

Hello Folks,

Sent the code to Steven -- Well there is not really any rpm packages to make
-- there is a need for a new stage2 image in the base directory and a new
loader in the initial initrd image used by RedHat (This due to clear bugs --
or am I out flying maybe).... Maybe I can rpm it -- as a new anaconda
package need to check it out but its definitly not on the top of my priority
list.

The normal rpm based installation time (just barebone system) was around 20
- 25 min. It's to be noted that the build time of nine minutes was to fully
configured system. The build time for a bare bone RedHat installation was
more in the five - six minutes range. I have developed a system that is self
configuring the server depending on what netgroups its part of. Basically
embedded in the config files (such as e.g. passwd, syslog, inittab,
http.conf etc..) there is statements such as:

if InNetgroup("production")
your config for production boxes
 if InNetgroup("development")
your config for development boxes

or for e.g. startup scripts

if InNetgroup("apache")
/etc/init.d/httpd start

All of the config files and a number of scripts for the server is handeled
this way. The files are kept centraly and distributed out to all system.
At distribution time or install time (as in building a server) the files are
parsed and installed by a special program. This way all config files are
kept in one place and you can easily manage all your boxes. The nine minutes
build time I'm refering to is with installing all those files managed by the
system (and that is a lot of files since virtually every config file and all
startup scripts are managed -- i..e more or less the whole etc directory).

Anyways it's pretty practical, all customization I need to do to the bare
system fileimage is to have NIS enabled and to run the install program after
NIS is started the first time.. but this is beyond the scope of AI....

Cheers The Frozen one....